Grounds & Labor
Grounds and Labor Services embraces the maintenance of the campus grounds, the operation and repair of grounds equipment, maintenance of landscaping, and the preservation of the roads, parking lots, and sidewalks on University property.
In addition to cutting grass, trimming hedges, and pruning trees, Grounds and Labor Services maintains all mowers, trucks, and other mechanical and hydraulic equipment such as street sweepers, snow removal equipment, and large tractor gang mowers. This also includes assisting Academics in moving offices and furniture as needed. Labor Services are responsible for special set-ups that may be required.
SNOW REMOVAL PLAN AND PROCEDURES (pdf document)
In most instances snow and ice removal will occur simultaneously for roadways, parking lots, primary sidewalks and primary entrances. In situations when snow and ice occur with heavy snow accumulation or is difficult to handle, the following priorities will be followed:
1 . Roadways serving university campus buildings starting with Health Sciences parking lot.
2. Student ADA drop off points and paths to building entrances, parking lots including ADA accessible, permit based lots and short term lots.
3. Main sidewalks leading to campus building entrances, with special attention to the bus loading areas at Evansdale Crossing.
4. Side entrances, back entrances, and all limited access exits.
5. Long term parking lots where vehicles are used sporadically.
6. Contractor assistance will begin additional snow removal after snow has accumulated over 1 “.
HOW YOU CAN HELP…
- If you arrive at work and your normal parking lot is not plowed, please try to
park in a plowed lot or park in a group/cluster with other vehicles to ease snow
- At times, it can be extremely difficult for the operators to see pedestrians or
vehicles while operating equipment, so please allow as much space as possible
between you and the equipment (at least fifty feet is recommended). The more
room you give us to work, the quicker we can have the snow and ice removed for
- Please do not pull out or walk in front of trucks or any other equipment
If you have any special snow removal requests please contact our HELP Line at 304-293-4357.